Sunday 21 August 2011

The Fourth Step: Made a fearless and moral inventory of ourselves

I'm going to step on some toes when I say this. I do not believe that we are born into original sin or that we have a sin nature. Yes, we all sin. But the Arabic translation of the word "sin" simply means a mistake. We are all in a developmental process. To say that we are miserable sinners contradicts the nature of God. If we are made in the image and likeness of God, we cannot be sinners by nature.
As a musician, I know that all instrumentalists make mistakes. But that does not make everyone a miserable musician any more than stating that we are horrible sinners.
Instead, we all possess the ability to rise to the highest level of achievement. Now we do all fall short of the glory of God, meaning that we don't shine with the splendor that belongs only to the divine. But that does not mean that we are miserable sinners. All of us are on a path.
However, we all make mistakes. The fourth step, "made a fearless and moral inventory of ourselves," is critical in the growth process.
As I look back on my life, I have clear memories of my errors. I chose to live in isolation due to fear of contact; I withdrew into an abyss of isolation; and I have treated others unfairly out of my pain.
However, I know that with God's help and the help of other spiritual seekers, I can and have been learning a far more productive way to live.
Dear readers, please share your views on this.
I'm Barbara altman. Raised in an alcoholic home, I became depressed and riddled with anxiety at an early age. One of the purposes in my life is to convey hope to those who have suffered from depression and I hope to do this in my writings and in speaking engagements. For more information, refer to http://WWw.depressiontorecovery.com


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5500223

No comments:

Post a Comment